Why not use the Winter solstice, the meteorological turning point of the year when the days become gradually longer once more, as an opportunity to consciously choose to leave behind past frustrations, resentments or disappointments so that you can step a fresh into a new year, into a new chapter in your life unencumbered by past drains on your emotional and intellectual energy.
Whilst the Winter Solstice on 22st December is the longest night of the year it is also the turning point of the year as after this night the sun grows stronger in the sky, and the days become gradually longer once more. A celebration of the birth of sun, light and fire – the Winter Solstice is a perfect time to let go of the year that has gone and embrace the light of the new year.
As my Christmas gift to you I’m offering up a little activity to release the past year and invite in more of what will serve you well in 2020.
Here’s how it works:
- Reflecting on the year – on one piece of paper write down all the things you want to celebrate as you look back on the year – think about the things that you want to acknowledge yourself for, as well as what you’ve learned.
- Then put that piece of paper in an envelope and tuck it away somewhere for safe keeping.
- On another piece of paper, write down all the things that you want to release from the year that has passed. Include any emotions, experiences and fears that you want to let go of – if it pops into your head and you want to release it, write it down.
- Now (in a safe place!) set fire to this piece of paper and watch as those things are released to the air.
- Next – hold gently in your mind your greatest hope or vision for the coming year. What would you like to invite more of into your life and work? What would you like to do differently? What is the quality that you would most like to cultivate?
- With this thought in your mind – light a candle. Take a moment to take in the glow and beauty of the flame and to contemplate what you want for the year ahead. Then blow out the candle – sending your energy and wish out towards the coming year…
May the wind be always at your back and the sun shine warm on your face in 2020.
With warm wishes
Sign up to receive bite-sized bits of inspiration from Boldly-Go